Sunday, April 15, 2007

How a map geek is created- A Childern's Atlas Part I

For years now I have focused on maps, maps of every type and variety not once thinking how did I get to be a map geek. How does a map geek get to be a geek? where we born that way? likely not, but perhaps we were exposed to a really cool atlas when they were young and have been lost in the world of map geeks ever since. This is my angle, a good children's atlas can make all the difference in the world between a real map geek and a the 'other'. Let's take a moment and consider a few aspects of becoming a map geek.
There are many things to consider when it comes to a childern's atlas. First, what age is the best to begin teaching childern about their world? What do you show them? How will they understand what they see? How will the young map geek transform information from a book into real-world applications.
Interest in physical surroundings and their location on the planet seems to become an active quest when a child is around 7-8 years old, judging from my own experience of course. Therefore creating a children's atlas should begin with the basics such as the Geography of our environment, and all organic species living on the planet. These are just a few of the major themes that should be considered. There are a few things that I feel should not be part of a children's atlas. In my opinion, this would be anything religious in any tone or form. Several childern's biblicial atlas's that I have viewed all seem to start with the same theme that to me shows signs of creating social lines based on religious views of the world. Here is an example, I just don't see how this type of geographic information can help a six-year old learn or want to learn more about their surroundings.

I' m not saying that this is not important information or anything it just is not a proper formula to begin teaching childern geography of the world.
Please join me next week for part two when we take a closer look at why it's important to begin teaching childern about their local environment first rather then far off lands. Until then-geek on!









No comments: